Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HipsterDoofus
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 29, 2021

My Experience With Sleep Buds 2

I have had these buds for 7 days. I have a Sony Xperia Z5 with Android 7.1.1. Google play said that the Bose App was compatible with my phone.

After downloading the app & opening it I was guided though the setup. After set up the app tells me to charge the buds first for at least 6 hours. That really needs to be moved to the first page after opening the app. Hopefully the batteries are OK.

After charging I again opened the app. The buds had a hard time connecting. First the right would connect then slowly the left. Then the right would disconnect, reconnect. Same on the left. It would play sounds though.

Next I tried to install a new sound. That failed every time I tried. Then I tried to uninstall a sound. That also failed.

I started to get very frustrated & disappointed with what was happening as I was expecting so much more from a Bose product. I found and installed the sound, Rustle, that I then used & left it at that.

The sound started off out of sync & stayed out of sync. Getting worse as the night went on.

One night I got up to go to the loo & paused the sound. It kept playing. I rebooted the phone. As it was rebooting the sound never went off. Once I opened the app I was able to pause / restart the sound.

Frustration was growing & I wished I never had bought these buds.

I then got a notification of an update & was hopeful this would fix the issues I was having. I tried several times to update following the instructions. It failed every time. A small circle would appear with the centre showing the progress. It never got above 20%. I had to back out of it then had issues with the buds connecting. Thankfully I managed, somehow, to get a connection again & left the update alone.

Then I followed the app to btu.bose.com after it told me that was where I could update the charger. I run Linux. There was no way to download the update file as Linux is not supported I thought that was very slack of Bose. I have a legal copy of Windows 10 so hesitantly I installed, went to btu.bose.com, ran the updater only to be told the buds were not compatible. Why was I sent there in the first place?

I persisted to day seven having nothing but trouble. Then I had an idea. My wife had an old phone in her drawer. A Samsung S7 installed with Android 8.0.0.

After installing the Bose app I opened it & the buds connected straight away. Tried the update. This time I got a large circle with a progress bar going around the outside of it. The update was successful. Then I tried removing sounds. Success again.

The battery level was now even on both sides. After 7 hours of use I still had 53% left. Fantastic.

I can now appreciate these buds & love them.

So it seems my issue was Android 7. Android 8 corrected most issues.

The only issue, hopefully, I have now is the sound. Using 'Rustle' it starts off in sync. After around 30 minutes it is 0.05 seconds out of sync. After a few hours it becomes about a full second out of sync. Hopefully an update will fix that.

So in conclusion I now appreciate these buds & look forward to a good nights rest, every night. Good stuff. Thanks for reading.