cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for all Professional Installed products is still available by visiting Pro.bose.com.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joakim
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2018

802 mk1 vs 802 mk2

hi

what is the difference between 802 mk1 and 802 mk2?

Can I drive them both with Bose 802c II system controller?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
arno-at-bose
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Re: 802 mk1 vs 802 mk2

Hello Joakim,

Although the drivers are the same of both speakers, the internal filtering (also frequency response) is different and therefore we do not advise to use a different system controller.

Best regards,

Arno

Joakim
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2018

Thanks for reply.  

So, I do "nothing" with my mk1 without 802E controller?

As I have one but it is much better go for a gig with 802mk2 tops and 502BEX subs..(but they dont cover big area that I would hope)

Btw what should be the correct ohm rating on 802 mk2 when measured directly from xlr/jack output?

Once I measured it and I got something like 6,9 ohms.  But every driver moves when playing music..

For the last: I have to say that 802's have best sound that I have ever heard.. but they need sub.

Thanks again for reply

-Joakim

arno-at-bose
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

I would advise to use the speakers with the corresponding controller.

The impedance depends on what type of device you are using and the frequency. But around 7 ohms sounds OK to me.

Thank you on the sound quality of the Bose 802 🙂

Best regards,

Arno

Ray_Walsh_Priva
Registered since

Jan 4, 2016

Hello Joakim,

I noted your post several weeks ago regarding the 802 Series 1 EQ curve and have now managed to locate the 802 / Mk. I Owner’s Manual.

Whilst it is not officially recommended (see page 6 of attached manual), it seems a pity not to be able to use Bose loudspeakers that are in operational condition no matter what the age or Series, just because of not having the exact series equalizer.

I have successfully used a variety of good quality (9 band) equalisers (e.g. ControlSpace) in the past with good results by replicating, as closely as possible, the curve shown on page 14 of the manual.

Whilst the nominal impedance of the 802 I is 8 ohms, as per Arno’s response 6.9 ohms would seem about right, dependent on what the test frequency/s of your impedance meter is. Remember also that the 802 has it’s very low impedance  (nominally 1 ohm) drivers wired in series to give an overall impedance of 8 ohms; which also means that if any one driver open circuits then the rest of the loudspeaker will not work.

I hope this information is useful.

Best regards

Ray Walsh - Australia

Joakim
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2018

Hi

And thanks alot Ray. When I find good equ to replicate the bose equ curve I have to go with my mk2.. 

Although my second post is my biggest concern.. 😕

SS1967
Participant
Registered since

Feb 6, 2022

Hi.Appreciate this is a old topic thread but...I've used bose 802s for 30 years. Having re-wired mine to improve the internal filter (yes there is one) each driver is 0.9 ohms with a total of 7ish but that doesn't really matter. If you measure at input and you get nothing or very high resistance it usually means on or more drivers blown or simply keep multimeter on input and press on each driver-should see readings change-ie no change that one's knackered. They are on series 1V now.I believe from series 111 the drivers are kevlar basically you can wet soak them....ummm! I cam tell you that even in 2022 a pair outside on a stands being used for vocal are still unbeatable circa 300-400hz +12db up on output.  If you don't use the controller they basically sound like a loud portable radio eq boost at low and high to make up for the 'honk' mid of little drivers. Bare in mind eq is as old as the hills All amps mixers now use this technology. Bose hatters won't mention outdoor pa with them but slam them for music production poor spl still can't critasize pa outdoor use. Mine are 1987 stamped on magnets?????