cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennyK
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

T4s Inputs

I wish to confirm whether or not the combo inputs are balanced for both the XLR and 6.5mm, or only the XLR? It would seem to me that they are only balanced on the XLR. It would seem the only 6.5mm balanced inputs are the aux inputs?

The reason I am querying this is because I have a Taylor T5 guitar which has a balanced output, which I would like to take full advantage of.

6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: T4s Inputs

Hi Speedy,

Correction - The 1/4 inch (6 mm) inputs on the T4S/T8S are balanced.

The 1/4 inch (6 mm) inputs on the T4S/T8S are unbalanced but they accept Tip-Ring-Sleeve jacks.

• For inputs 1-4, you can physically plug a Tip-Sleeve or Tip-Ring-Sleeve 1/4" plug into the jack, and get perfect fidelity.
  • If you have a balanced line source and Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable, and plug into an unbalanced input (1,2,3,4), you may not get as much resistance to induced noise or potential ground loop hum as you will if you plug into the balanced inputs (5,6).

Have you discovered the T5 Preset? 

ST

KennyK
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Hi ST, Yes I have discovered the T5 preset, thanks.

So the 1-4 XLR inputs are balanced are they?

If so, I will just get a different cable, 6.5mm TRS to XLR.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Speedy,

Yes, the XLR inputs are balanced.

I would try the 6 mm inputs and see if you have any issues If you don't hear any line noise, then there's nothing to be gained by using a different cable.

The balanced connection may give you a higher signal to noise ratio, but you will miss out on the high impedance you get on the 6 mm input.  The higher input impedance could be a better match for the T5.

ST

KennyK
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Don't know much about impedance ST? What difference does it make?

I know if I use a balanced connection, the signal will be twice as loud.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Speedy,

I have just confirmed - the  6 mm inputs ARE balanced. Sorry about the confusion. No need for a 6 mm to XLR conversion.

ST

KennyK
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Thanks ST.