cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theonemanband
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

S1 augmented

Hi, I know S1 fans like to hear of the way other users put this great little speaker to use, so I thought you may be interested in my gig on Saturday last; (after thirty odd years, my aim these days is to carry as little gear as possible)!??

Small to mid-size bar venue, moderately noisy but I did not feel my one S1 Pro would quite “cut the mustard”. The following was to be very much a learning curve as it was the first time I had tried this.................

I simply used my S1 Pro cabled up as usual and running on battery power (1 x vocal, 2 x guitar input via Zoom MS-100BT) but then, augmenting the volume by DI’ing from the line out (1/4”TRS - XLR) into one of my active PA cabs (Yamaha DXR10).

DXR on the floor, S1 Pro on top..........the sound was plenty loud enough with volume to spare, so it seems that now, on the odd occasion that the need arises, the only extra item I need to carry (apart from the DXR of course) is a cable to power it........sorted.....perfect mini PA!

I’m not in the market for another S1 Pro yet as one is normally enough for most of my acoustic gigs BUT two big issues that I feel need to be adressed and that might just tempt me to invest in another one are, a reverb footswitch option and two, a master volume control..........(only my opinion of course).

Cheers..........Brian

Here’s a photo of the “rig”??

78E82E29-645B-4139-A404-ABDA0A8B8901

5 REPLIES 5
Simon Patrick
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 9, 2018

Re: S1 augmented

Nice set-up and thanks for sharing.  I did the same thing with one of my old Crate PSM 15P speakers.  Worked OK but found the sound quality did not match the S1...but maybe after more fiddling with the EQ I might get closer. If I set hi, mid and low settings on the Crate speaker the sound quality was not even close to the S1.  Did you have to adjust the DXR much with your rig yo achieve good results?

theonemanband
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

The DXR only has two pre set eq contours to choose from......... scooped mid-range or bass cut (or flat of course). I just set it flat and it seemed to re-produce the S1 very well, (it was though, as I said, a moderately noisy bar)!??

rodadamowicz@gmail.com
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 12, 2018

I find the S1 is really nice piece of kit. I also have it's big brother the L1 Mk2 with a couple of B1's but the S1 is perfect for the smaller venues. I agree with the comments from Brian ('theonemanband'  It really is a pity that a Master Volume Control was not considered essential - in my opinion it is a big, big error of judgement, otherwise the S1 is perfect for my needs.

Rod.

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Nice, thanks for sharing

Ted1
Collaborator
Registered since

May 8, 2018

Thanks. I only use the S1 Pro for a gig like that - vocal and Roland digital accordion.  The accordion is plenty loud even at 1/2 volume. The vocal can be low but I use an impedance transformer plug to boost that if needed. the singer is low output volume. Personally i  don;t want to carry anything more than my instrument and the S1.