cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fiveg
Registered since

Dec 21, 2011

L1 Compact with electric guitar

I would like to use the L1 Compact for a duo, with singer and electric guitar. We'd generally use it in small settings, and sometimes put in a drum machine.

The Bose website only mentions acoustic guitar for the L1 compact, which makes me worried that it isn't voiced for or compatible with an electric.

So: does the L1 compact play well with humbucker equipped electrics?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Compact with electric guitar

Hi FiveG,

Thank you for joining the Forum.

I use my Compact with various electric guitars. I really like using it with large-bodied jazz boxes, but I have also used it plenty of times with other types of electric guitars. Humbuckers are fine.

Please note: The Compact does not break-up or distort like an electric guitar amp. So if you are looking for that kind of sound, you'll need to get some kind of guitar processor for that.

Does that help?
fiveg
Registered since

Dec 21, 2011

Yes, thanks. My plan is mostly to play clean with a singer (jazz, blues), so that should work great. I guess I can add a distortion pedal or a Pocket POD to the signal chain if I want to crunch it up a bit.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi FiveG,

It sounds like we're on the same track here. If you do go with some kind of processor, use something that emulates an amp (designed for recording or running into a clean PA). A distortion pedal intended to run in front of a guitar amp may not give you what you want.
fiveg
Registered since

Dec 21, 2011

Would any of the tube-containing pedals work? Or should I use a POD or a Korg Pandora? As I think about it, if I'm going to constantly have it "on" to have the amp emulation and reverb (I'd do both), there's really no point to a pedal, is there? Processor set up right would make sense, I guess.
fiveg
Registered since

Dec 21, 2011

One more thought: what about the Rock Bug pedal as an emulator to get amp warmth?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi FiveG,

quote:
Originally posted by FiveG:
Would any of the tube-containing pedals work? Or should I use a POD or a Korg Pandora? As I think about it, if I'm going to constantly have it "on" to have the amp emulation and reverb (I'd do both), there's really no point to a pedal, is there? Processor set up right would make sense, I guess.

I don't think that you could say that any of the tube-containing pedals would work. That's too broad a generalization. I think that you are looking for something that has amp models or amp/speaker emulation. Something that is suitable for running direct to a PA or a recording console.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi FiveG,

quote:
One more thought: what about the Rock Bug pedal as an emulator to get amp warmth?

The Rock Bug Pedal looks interesting but I don't have any direct experience with it, so I can't comment about the sound.

I did notice that it does NOT have reverb. It also does not have a ¼ inch jack mono output so you would need to get some kind of adapter to go from the stereo headphone output to the RCA or 1/8 inch Compact Channel 2 input. Do NOT use a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve to ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve from the Rock Bug Stereo headphone output to the Compact Channel 2 ¼ inch jack balanced-mono input.
fiveg
Registered since

Dec 21, 2011

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi FiveG,

quote:

The Rock Bug Pedal looks interesting but I don't have any direct experience with it, so I can't comment about the sound.

I did notice that it does NOT have reverb. It also does not have a ¼ inch jack mono output so you would need to get some kind of adapter to go from the stereo headphone output to the RCA or 1/8 inch Compact Channel 2 input. Do NOT use a ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve to ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve from the Rock Bug Stereo headphone output to the Compact Channel 2 ¼ inch jack balanced-mono input.

The unbalanced 1/4" output wouldn't work? http://www.carlmartin.com/manuals/manual_rock_bug.pdf.

Actually, looking at this, they seem to state the way to go would be to use the balanced output, but wouldn't that mean having to use up the XLR input on the L1 compact? (Which in my case wouldn't work because I'll have the singer on the XLR.)

Sounds like absent adding a mixer to this, I should use my POD or Pandora.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi FiveG,
quote:
The unbalanced 1/4" output wouldn't work? http://www.carlmartin.com/manuals/manual_rock_bug.pdf.

If that ¼ inch jack unbalanced output is wired for stereo headphones, I wouldn't expect it to work well when connected to the Compact Channel 2 ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve balanced input. It might be okay with a ¼ inch jack Tip-Sleeve to ¼ inch jack Tip-Sleeve instrument cable.
quote:

Actually, looking at this, they seem to state the way to go would be to use the balanced output, but wouldn't that mean having to use up the XLR input on the L1 compact? (Which in my case wouldn't work because I'll have the singer on the XLR.)

You might be able to get an XLR to balanced ¼ inch jack Tip-Ring-Sleeve adapter (and connect that to Compact Channel 2). I would expect that to work.

You still would not have reverb. Now for me, I wouldn't miss reverb, but I'm not going for that sound - especially with a jazz guitar.

quote:

Sounds like absent adding a mixer to this, I should use my POD or Pandora.

I've used several of the POD products (not the latest generation though) and they were fine for warming up the sound a bit. No experience with the Pandora.

If you are using a drum machine too then you might want to look at getting a small mixer, yes.

My preference for this would be a T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine

I use one of these at least 50% of the time with my Compact. It gives me great versatility when I need it. But I also use it with my L1® Model II, and I like to have the same basic setup in front of me regardless of which L1® I'm using behind me.