cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catmoondaddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

Bass guitar i Steinberger

My bass player is hesitant abut the quality and loudness of his bass guitar through the Bose L1 Model 2 base module. It has two 10" speakers in it and he is afraid that he might blow them out or conversely, not be loud enough for outdoor venues. Is he being too cautious? He wants to somehow connect his bass amp to the Tonematch 8s but I think it would be overkill sending a powered signal to the Tonematch. I guess all we can do is try it out. We just set up all the channels for vocals, acoustic guitars  percussion AND bass (direct into a channel) and it sounds great (in my apartment) Monday we are going to a clubhouse and crank it up. Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Re: Bass guitar i Steinberger

I certainly would advise NOT sending a powered signal to the ToneMatch - just an instrument / line level signal.

If you have one, use a longer B2 bin feed cable and see if you can get the B2 slightly backed up to a wall or in a corner - the acoustics may help...

If you find that bass is insufficient with a B2 attached to an L1 - you could consider an A-Pack Lite amplifier with a second B2 bass bin.

Try putting them on their side in a two bin stack and you will hear bass without an issue.

As an aside - I added rubber feet to my B2 in upright mode and it tightened the response (in my opinion), plus it has stopped the unit getting road scuff.

Hope the gig goes well.

Mr__Hoon
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

We have a percussionist, two acoustic/electrics, and a bass playing though a L1B2/T1. Our bass player plays through a Fender Rumble 40 and we direct out that through a 8-channel Soundcraft and then into Channel 4 on the T1. We have played indoors and outdoors and he has never had a complaint. For big gigs, we use a soundman with a F1 system and he still uses the Rumble to great effect. Best of luck to you.

catmoondaddy
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 28, 2019

thanks Everyone!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi catmoondaddy,

catmoondaddy posted:

My bass player is hesitant abut the quality and loudness of his bass guitar through the Bose L1 Model 2 base module. It has two 10" speakers in it and he is afraid that he might blow them out

You will not blow out the drivers in the L1 Model II or B2 bass module. The system has protection against this kind of damage built-in.

or conversely, not be loud enough for outdoor venues.

This is something you can only determine through experience. 

If he is concerned, he can continue to use his bass amp.

Is he being too cautious? He wants to somehow connect his bass amp to the Tonematch 8s but I think it would be overkill sending a powered signal to the Tonematch.

Please DO NOT connect a powered output from any amplifier to any input on the T8S or any input on any Bose Portable PA equipment.

You may damage the amplifier or the Bose equipment, or both.

I guess all we can do is try it out. We just set up all the channels for vocals, acoustic guitars  percussion AND bass (direct into a channel) and it sounds great (in my apartment) Monday we are going to a clubhouse and crank it up. Any thoughts?

If the bass amp has a has a high-pass, line level output you can connect it to the T8S.  But do not connect the powered output to the T8S.

ST