Did you mean: 
johnnycanuck1963
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2020

Acoustimass Mystery

Firmware: No Idea

Hardware: See photos

Hi folks.  I bought a house with the remnants of what looks to be a Bose home theatre system - four double speakers and one small rectangular speaker.  They snipped the wires and took everything else with them.  I can't seem to upload photos of what they left but I can send them along if necessary.  

I would like to resurrect this system but I think there are pieces missing, trouble is I don't know what.  From some googling there appears to be a module missing, and maybe some other kind of junction box.  I have a Samsung QLED flat screen TV that I bought in the fall of 2020 and a pretty decent audiophile stereo system from the 1990s.

What am I missing and how do I wire it all back together so it works?

Best

Jim

Revelstoke, Canada

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

3 REPLIES 3
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Acoustimass Mystery

I would probably sell those double cube speakers on eBay and start over with a new Bose system.  If you just want a surround sound system for your TV, a Bose Soundbar 700 with an Acoustimass 700 bass module would be a good option.  You can add the rear surround speakers if you want 5.1 surround sound.  

johnnycanuck1963
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2020

Hey thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately buying a new system isn't in the cards and I have to make the most of what's here.  Can anyone tell me what the original components were for this system?

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Over the years, Bose sold a lot of different surround sound systems that use Bose double cubes and an Acoustimass module.  These are Dolby digital 5.1 systems where the 5 double cubes or 4 double cubes plus front center speaker all plug into the Acoustimass module.  Some then go from the Acoustimass module to a Bose console while others are simply speaker systems that plug into a 3rd party receiver.

If you want to try and use those speakers, I suggest you check eBay and see what you can find to make it a workable system.  Problem is, it will not work with your modern TV and you will need to find a work-around for that.  Sometimes, it's better to stop trying to use old, obsolete pieces and parts and start over with a new system.