cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim22
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Why isn't there an extensible API for playing music?

It seems the #1 complaint from customers is a lack of support for music services. I was also initially excited to see that there is a SoundTouch API: http://products.bose.com/api-developer/index.html

Unfortunately, I discovered that the API is very limited and doesn't allow you to play arbitrary URLs or develop support for new music services.

I understand that bose doesn't have the resources to provide built-in support for every music service out there and that sometimes licensing issues get in the way, but wouldn't it make sense to let the community add support for services that bose does not?

The benefits are compounding, not only does it allow unhappy customers to solve their own problems but it gives you a much clearer picture of which services to prioritize supporting based on how popular the community alternative is.

3 REPLIES 3
mattius
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Re: Why isn't there an extensible API for playing music?

Completely agree, allow us to write an app which can access the marge streaming service...

Marty K.
Mentor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

This is a great question - here we have an internet connected speaker that should be able to, in theory, access and play any audio file on a public web server anywhere on the internet, but it can't be done because everything is locked down.  Why?  Not only should this be available through the API, but the app itself should  allow users to key in the URL of a sound file.  Why shouldn't the average user be able to simply enter the URL of a file that they want to play?  It would make the speakers so much more open and user-friendly. 

mattius
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Given the slowness of internal development, it makes sense to open up the API, allow us to create a user app, see if we can do better.

Im a senior software enginneer by trade (all be it in the energy industry, but more than versed in implementing/reverse engineering protocols), more than happy to offer free time when i get it. Also well versed in signing NDAs more than happy to sign one if there is internal IPR contained.