cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doug_3
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2004

T4S - MP3 & WAV streaming from flash drive

First, KUDOS for some of the new features in the T4S:
     Master Out EQ - Thank You! Now the system can be adjusted for the  room acoustics that are encountered in various venues!
     Stereo Out, to two L1 systems - Thank You! I can leave a lot of other paraphenalia home now.

MAJOR REQUEST: Provide option to have the music player stop after playing ONE music file from a flash drive.

I'm a solo musician who sings with backing tracks. When a song has finished, I do NOT want to have to jump back to the controls to stop the next song from playing. When the song has ended is when a good performer acknowledges and interacts with the audience. Taking attention away from the audience during the few crictical seconds after the music stops, by turning one's attention to a little screen and playing with little knobs, turns the audience OFF, and marks the difference between an amateur hour and a professional performance. 

I have to wonder just how music streaming from WAV/MP3 files is used by musicians on most stages: are they using streaming to provide background music during breaks, or, are many of them, like me, using the MP3s as backing tracks for the main part of the performance?

For those using backing tracks for their main performance, I can't see how anyone in that situation would want the WAV/MP3 player to jump to the next song in the list and start playing it automatically.

Ideally, the WAV/MP3 player, after finishing the playback of one song, would then automatically HIGHLIGHT the next song in the list, but WITHOUT starting playback. This way, the performer would just need to use one touch on the "SELECT" button when he/she is ready to start the next song playing.

PLEASE have your software writers turn their attention to this; it seems to me that it should be a fairly quick, easy programming detail to implement.

Thanks, 

Doug Alt

9 REPLIES 9
Mike_in_Texas
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 15, 2003

Re: T4S - MP3 & WAV streaming from flash drive

Hi Doug - I encountered and solved this issue, but on a "lower threshold".

I use MP3's in my classic band situation for intros, but for only 5 or 6 songs throughout a night.  My first thought was to ADD silence to the end of track, but I at times would still forget to stop the player.  I generally detest iTunes, but I've found no other player really any better in Windows.  I want the player to function, or to have an option to work exactly as you describe - play one track and STOP, positioning to the start of the next track is a great idea.

SO, back to my trusty original, decade old at least, iPod.  MY solution was to create a separate PLAYLIST for EACH track, containing ONLY that track - BECAUSE.. when in the normal Play Mode, when the LAST track in a Playlist ends.. it STOPS.  So, instead of ONE Playlist with all the desired tracks in sequence..  I have a SEPARATE Playlist for each track - a few more selection/start touches than I'd like, but the END is more critical than the START, to me in this case.  Yes, I do have other Playlists on this iPod, but I have these "Intro" Playlists sequenced together with a prefix/number before the name.

NOT ideal, but I made do with what I had to work with.

Best luck and Super 2019 to you, Mike

-- don't hold your breath for the providers to implement that elegant programming solution of your dreams - makes too much sense!  Kinda like a master volume on any of the L1's :-}  OR a musician usable tablet app?

wyattd
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

While we are waiting for a Bose update, assuming they choose to implement your request, here’s a user solution I have used . Record a blank MP3 of an appropriate Duration say 60 secs  and name it so it comes after the single track you wish to play. It will then follow on and you have a minute to get to the controls to stop the playback. You can easily duplicate this MP3 and name them in such a way so they fit between your tracks on the set list. Ie A.mp3, Aa.mp3 B.mp3 etc, or you could append silence of 60 secs to all your MP3s.

David

Doug_3
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2004

Thanks, Mike and David.

I've tried each of your approaches in the past, using iTunes in my iPad, but became frustrated with the extra work preparing the files and with the extra touches needed on the controls during performances.

I finally found an app for the iPad called "Big Button Player" that accomplished exactly what I was looking for, with the jumping to the next song in the list but not playing it until I hit the "play" button. I have been using this for my live performances for 8 or 10- years now. 

When I saw the flash drive capability of the new T4S, I was hoping to eliminate the iPad from my stage set-up. However, without a single-song-play feature, I guess I'll have to keep the iPad in action after all.

Incidentally, the "Big Button Player" is no longer available - it was a labor of love for the musician/programmer who created it, but he didn't sell enough of them to justify the effort of updating it every time an iOS update came out from Apple. (I'm coddling my iOS 7.1.1 iPad carefully, hoping it doesn't give out in the near future.)

Doug

wyattd
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

Just another thought Doug. In the T4S player I think it does not swap directories after playing a song, so possibly putting each song in its own directory will solve the issue of next song not starting automatically. However you would still need to twiddle the knobs to select your next song.

David

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Doug,

Doug posted:

? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

MAJOR REQUEST: Provide option to have the music player stop after playing ONE music file from a flash drive.

I'm a solo musician who sings with backing tracks. When a song has finished, I do NOT want to have to jump back to the controls to stop the next song from playing. When the song has ended is when a good performer acknowledges and interacts with the audience. Taking attention away from the audience during the few crictical seconds after the music stops, by turning one's attention to a little screen and playing with little knobs, turns the audience OFF, and marks the difference between an amateur hour and a professional performance. 

I have to wonder just how music streaming from WAV/MP3 files is used by musicians on most stages: are they using streaming to provide background music during breaks, or, are many of them, like me, using the MP3s as backing tracks for the main part of the performance? ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? 

Please post a note about this in this discussion:

T4S/T8S ToneMatch Mixers Feature Requests

Thanks!

ST

pzaz
Registered since

Sep 12, 2018

Why do Bose bother having an audio player in the T4S when it’s unusable in most cases? Could have channeled their energy into something else.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Doug,

? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

I have to wonder just how music streaming from WAV/MP3 files is used by musicians on most stages: are they using streaming to provide background music during breaks,

In the places where I play, there is background music when I'm not performing.  I need to manage the environment before I start and during breaks. Otherwise, the music pouring into the venue may be at odds with my show.  Here are some of the issues I can avoid by playing my choice of music through my system.

• House music is too loud
  • House music competes with my show
    • House music includes songs I intend to play
    • Jarring differences in the genre of music
    • Advertising (some venues play radio or streaming services with advertising)

Playing music unattended lets me control the musical environment from the moment I set up until I'm ready to pack up and go. 

or, are many of them, like me, using the MP3s as backing tracks for the main part of the performance?

I don't use backing tracks as part of my performance, although I understand others do. 

ST

Doug_3
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 11, 2004

ST:

Thanks for the guidance to the "Feature Requests" thread.

It's clear that non-stop streaming of music files works perfectly for your uses. It is also clear that you are a real professional performer, concerned with the total quality of everything that happens in the venue when you are there.   ??

Doug

Cleverson
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi Doug,

You can use the Forscore App, you will need a pdf file for each track and as soon as the song finishes it will stop, after that you will only touch the screen of the ipad and jump to the next page and hit the play button is the system that I use in my scores.

Greetings from Brazil.