cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ_Erv
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Re: Choosing a sub for the S1

Michael M posted:

I don’t have any experience with sub woofers (I’m a magician) but I’ve been tempted to try this one with my S1 Pro: https://www.sweetwater.com/sto...ch-powered-subwoofer

I would probably not want to mix Behringer with Bose. IMO Behringer is entry level. I own a rental company with mainly EV, Bose, QSC, and JBL speakers. You have Bose, stay with quality throughout.

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Any of the Ampeg BA series amps are excellent choices as powered sub woofers for The Bose S1 Pro. Even the $99 buck Ampeg BA 108 has superior acoustical output and will not bottom out at the lowest frequencies. It also has a tilt back feature like the Bose S1 Pro. Two of these tilted back would cover a very large room, with two Bose S1 Pro's. They have 60 degree coverage each and one could easily get 150 degree coverage out of two of them overlapping at the right angles with clean and floor thumping bass on a budget.

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Ric,

Ric posted:

Any of the Ampeg BA series amps are excellent choices as powered sub woofers for The Bose S1 Pro. Even the $99 buck Ampeg BA 108 has superior acoustical output and will not bottom out at the lowest frequencies. It also has a tilt back feature like the Bose S1 Pro. Two of these tilted back would cover a very large room, with two Bose S1 Pro's. They have 60 degree coverage each and one could easily get 150 degree coverage out of two of them overlapping at the right angles with clean and floor thumping bass on a budget.

Looking at the Ampeg website and the  Ampeg BA108 Owners Manual

"Perfect for small spaces, the new 60-degree monitoring angle delivers unmatched clarity."

Image result for ampeg ba108

The 60-degree specification refers to the monitoring angle, not the horizontal coverage. Bass frequencies tend to be omnidirectional (unless you are using bass arrays and digital signal processing - not applicable here).

ST

Ric1
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

The monitor angle has more to do with throw over the heads of the audience. I own one of the older versions and stack a couple of books under it for the same effect. While it's true high frequency tones are more directional, bass can also be diminished firing directly through a crowd. This is especially true with lower wattage bass amps. An active crossover would also help.