cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wirelessdj
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2019

Building the perfect Micro System

I know there are a lot of discussions regarding 3rd party sub-woofers for use with the S1 Pros.  I am trying to keep it a small 3 piece system.

Has anyone considered (or tried) two S1's with a QSC KS112?  

My rep at my local Guitar Center seems to feel that it would be better match one KS112 rather than two Behringer Behringer B1200D's.

Here are the specs

QSC KS112
Configuration 6th-Order Bandpass Subwoofer
LF Transducer 12-inch (305 mm), Cone
Frequency Response (-6 dB) 41 Hz - 108 Hz
Frequency Range (-10 dB) 38 Hz - 121 Hz
Maximum Rated SPL1 128 dB @ 1 m (peak)
Amplifier Class D 2000W (peak)
Connectors 2 x locking XLR/F 1/4-inch combo
2 x XLR/M (Loop-thru Output)

Enclosure Details
Enclosure 15 mm Birch Plywood
Color Black (RAL 9011)
Grille Internal woofer cover
Dimensions (HWD) inches 24.5 x 15.5 x 24.25
Dimensions (HWD) mm 622 x 394 x 616
Net Weight 28.4 kg (62.6 lbs)
Shipping Weight 34.5 kg (76 lbs)

Crossover Details

80 Hz – applies a 80 Hz low-pass filter. 80 Hz is optimized for the K.2 Series and future loudspeakers

-or-
100 Hz – applies a 100 Hz low-pass filter. 100 Hz is optimized for the legacy K, KLA, and KW loudspeakers

Both of the crossover frequencies are time-aligned with the K.2 Series when the K.2 loudspeaker is pole-mounted over the KS Series and the front edges of the KS Series and K.2 Series loudspeakers are parallel.

42 REPLIES 42
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Building the perfect Micro System

Hi Wireless DJ,

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Have you considered the F1 Subwoofer? It's smaller, lighter, and it works well with a pair of S1 Pro systems.

Check out this discussion.

S1 Pros as Front of House with F1 Subwoofer

F1 Subwoofer Technical Data

Cheers!

ST

Wirelessdj
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2019

Yes I have considered the F1. What is the crossover frequency?

I dont understand 40 – 100 Hz Butterworth Bandpass, 100 Hz 4th order Butterworth HPF at Line Out

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Wireless DJ,

The crossover frequency for the high pass filter is 100 Hz.

Does that help?
ST

Wirelessdj
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2019

Yes. Can you give me an estimate of how many guests two S1's and 1 F1 would be useful for?  I own the L1 1S with B2 and would like to compare

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I did a gig last weekend with my 2 Behringer B1200D-Pros and 2 Bose S1 Pros. Up to three vocals and electric or acoustic guitar.

After hooking them all up, I had to turn the output from the B1200Ds WAY DOWN, I could have done the gig with just one of them.

My thoughts:

QSC KS112 - 1000W probably massive overkill compared to sound output of 2 S1 Pros. Almost as big as TWO Behringers and nearly double the weight of one. THREE times the price. Just the 67 pound weight of these would make this a deal killer for this old man.

Behringer - Not only cheaper and lighter (41#) but has a control for variable cutoff frequency up to 150Hz (I usually run it close to the top) and a boost circuit that works pretty well for tuning the sub-woofer to the room.

IMHO: Two Bose S1 Pros and one B1200D is a wonderfully balanced system for general PA use. If you want more thump (I guess DJs do?) then 2 of them are still cheaper than ONE QSC.

I shopped at Guitar Center for many, many years and in my experience rarely met a "rep" who really knew what they were talking about...YMMV...

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Wireless DJ,

Do you own an S1 Pro or two now?

WirelessDJ posted:

Yes. Can you give me an estimate of how many guests two S1's and 1 F1 would be useful for?  I own the L1 1S with B2 and would like to compare

This is a tough question because the coverage is dependent on the layout of the venue and where you position the S1 Pro systems. With the L1, that doesn't matter as much.

Since you own an L1 Model 1S with B2, what are you trying to improve or fix by moving to a small three-piece system?

What kind of music are you playing through your system?

What kinds of events are you doing?

ST

wyattd
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

Wondered if anyone had tried Alto Trusonic subs with 1 or 2 S1 Pros.  They do 12 and 15 inch versions and reasonable price point.

Alto Pro TS312S

The Alto Pro TS312S is active subwoofer in the TrueSonic series. It's a Class-D amplifier with a 2000W peak power output and 1000W RMS power output, the perfect addition for some extra low in your set-up. Normal speakers tend to struggle with the lows but the TS312S is rather punchy and offers tight, low imaging. What makes the TS312S truly shine, however, are the various DSP output modes. These allow you to finely tune the sub to the speakers you connect it to. Every DSP setting has its own frequency response and crossover point. These settings are mainly catered to the TrueSonic series full range loudspeakers. This subwoofer has a 35 mm cut-out for distance rods.

Specifications

Product features

• Speaker connectors.   XLR input, XLR / TRS combi input
  • Woofer diameter.          12 inches
  • Weight per speaker.     25 kg
  • Maximum SPL.              120 dB - 129 dB
  • Maximum frequency subwoofer.   110 Hz
  • Minimum frequency.     35 - 39 Hz
  • RMS power in watts.     750 - 1,499 W
  • Locking speaker connectors.    no

Wirelessdj
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2019

Hmm Cheaper but Isn't Alto owned by inMusic?  I am not a fan of their product quality with the exception of Denon and Marantz

All Brands inMusic owns

AIR Music Technology
Akai Professional
Alesis
Alto Professional
Denon DJ
Denon Professional
ION Audio
M-Audio
Marantz Professional
MixMeister
Numark
Sonivox

Wirelessdj
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2019

ST>Since you own an L1 Model 1S with B2, what are you trying to improve or fix by moving to a small three-piece system?

I have two sets of L1's.  The L1's and B2's are for large venues.  I keep them in air-conditioned storage.  The S1's are in my home, ideal for small last minute parties, outdoor wedding ceremonies, etc.  

ST>What kind of music are you playing through your system?

General Top-40, Hip-Hop, Country, Rock, etc.

ST>What kinds of events are you doing?

Weddings and private parties.  Originally bought the S1's for remote and ceremony situations but I feel that I can use them for more venues if I can just increase the low end a little.