cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notice

On February 24, 2022 Bose will be closing the Online Community Forum. We would like to thank all those who participated by sharing their experiences and love of Bose products. Online support for Portable PA products is still available by visiting Bose Support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samdiasmusic
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

Airpods as in-ear monitors for the S1 Pro?

Hello! I am new to this forum, but have come across great answers here in the past. I am looking for a minimalist way to use in-ear monitors with my S1 Pro live performance setup.

Setup:

For my simple solo acoustic/vocal act, I use XVive wireless transmitters/receivers (guitar and mic) with the S1 Pro (on battery) to obtain a completely untethered, wireless performance anywhere. It is truly an amazing setup.

Problem:

However, I have found myself entertaining in busy/loud reception halls on occasion where in-ear monitors seem like they may be my best solution for circumventing the classic fight with crowd volume.

Are there any wireless in-ears that could pick up their feed directly from the S1 Pro without requiring a transmitter to be plugged into a power outlet? (I do not want to lose my new found wireless freedom!) I have wondered if perhaps Airpods could pick up the feed somehow by Bluetooth pairing directly to the S1 Pro, or possibly by having my iPhone act as an intermediary while paired with both the S1 and Airpods (though I fear latency might be terrible in this scenario).

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas on this. Thanks for reading!

Sam Dias

3 REPLIES 3
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Airpods as in-ear monitors for the S1 Pro?

Hi Sam Dias,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

You've certainly done your research to get to a wireless setup.

samdiasmusic posted:

Hello! I am new to this forum, but have come across great answers here in the past. I am looking for a minimalist way to use in-ear monitors with my S1 Pro live performance setup.

Setup:

For my simple solo acoustic/vocal act, I use XVive wireless transmitters/receivers (guitar and mic) with the S1 Pro (on battery) to obtain a completely untethered, wireless performance anywhere. It is truly an amazing setup.

Problem:

However, I have found myself entertaining in busy/loud reception halls on occasion where in-ear monitors seem like they may be my best solution for circumventing the classic fight with crowd volume.

Are there any wireless in-ears that could pick up their feed directly from the S1 Pro without requiring a transmitter to be plugged into a power outlet? (I do not want to lose my new found wireless freedom!) I have wondered if perhaps Airpods could pick up the feed somehow by Bluetooth pairing directly to the S1 Pro, or possibly by having my iPhone act as an intermediary while paired with both the S1 and Airpods (though I fear latency might be terrible in this scenario).

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas on this. Thanks for reading!

Sam Dias

Unfortunately, with Bluetooth, there is too much latency (delay) to use it for live sound monitoring. The issue is, the best you can expect from  Low Latency Bluetooth is about 40 milliseconds. 40 milliseconds is intolerably long for live music monitoring (See link below).

For those thinking about Bluetooth for monitoring, you'll find this interesting.

The Effects of Latency on Live Sound Monitoring

ST

wyattd
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2018

Using the line out from S1Pro to standard cabled EarPods you could use one of these from Studiospares at £20.  Mini Jack Volume Control Beltpack - Studiospares PHA1

If you want to go wireless you could use a xvive u3 which transmits line level wirelessly and just get appropriate connection cables.

David

ChetDude
Collaborator
Registered since

May 10, 2018

How about a battery powered mixer (to send output to both earbuds) to use WIRED earbuds utilizing the mix from the line output from the S1?